Monday, April 11, 2011

Life lessons from... Tangled.



There are so many things I love about this movie. So much truth. So much to learn from. But there is one conversation that meant something significant to me; I could relate to Rapunzel in most of the movie, but especially here. It's where she's sitting in a boat, waiting for the biggest moment of her life:

Flynn: "Hey... you okay?"
Rapunzel: "I'm terrified."
Flynn: "Why?"
Rapunzel:"I've been looking out a window for eighteen years, dreaming about what it would feel like when those lights rise in the sky. What if it's not everything I hoped for?"
Flynn: "It will be."
Rapunzel: "And what if it is?"
Flynn: "Well that's the good part I guess, you get to find a new dream."



I dont know about you, but this is me all the way to my core. I have the capability of dreaming big, huge even. I can be (or at least pretend to be) confident in my dreams, and in the pursuit of them, all the way up until they're right there in front of me. Just one more step. Turning one more page. Opening that last door.

And that's when I get stark staring terrified.

Terrified that I'll fail. Terrified it wont work. Terrified that I'm not good enough to live this dream. Terrified that it wont be all that I've dreamt it could be.

And then terrified that it will be... because where could I go then? What's next? Terrified that these are the odds that I'm contending against... Terrified that I'm going to be right, and the odds will win.

Well baby, I think now's the time to defy some odds. It's time to take that last step, to turn one more page, to open that door.

Because when it comes right down to it, that's life really, just a decision to keep going. In spite of fear. Defying the odds. Moving your feet forward when your head is screaming retreat. Having the courage to pursue one dream, and then to find a new one.

Never be afraid to dream a little bigger, friend. Never be afraid to run after your dream till your heart pounds. Dont be afraid to seize the day. And dont be afraid to turn that last page, and write a new chapter. Remember that every ending is only a new beginning.

Cheering for you!

1 comment:

  1. oh my gosh. Are you me? This is me, to a T. Dreaming big dreams...afraid of what's out there. Wanting something more...afraid to step out of what I know and what is familiar for might be better, yes...but is also different.

    You inspire me.

    ReplyDelete